Dear Memorial-Spaulding Families,
Today was a spectacular first day of the school year at Memorial-Spaulding. The positive energy and excitement in the building was palpable. I am grateful to be your principal and I look forward to an outstanding school year!
The remainder of this message is a repeat of information sent on Monday morning. Below are some items to help you prepare for the new school year.
Arrival Changes: Families will be permitted to walk students into the building during the first week of school. Beginning Sept. 11th, all students will need to say goodbye to parents at the doors. Extra personnel will be available at both the front and back entrances to greet at assist parents and children.
Dismissal: Your classroom teacher will provide information on where to meet your child afterschool (grades 1-3). Grade K dismisses at their exterior doors by the playground. Grades 4 and 5 dismiss students directly from the classroom. Please inform your child’s classroom teacher how your child will be dismissed each day (bus, parent pick up, Extended Day program, etc.).
Blue Zone: Our Blue Zone has been expanded once again. The yellow curb access point was removed over the summer. Remember Blue Zone is for quick drop (or pick up) and go. Drivers should not exit their cars in the Blue Zone. There is a Blue Zone on Brookline Street in front of the school and near Oak Hill Street in the opposite direction. You may also drop/pick up students at Clifton Path behind the school.
Elimination of crossing guard: The guard position at Dedham and Oak Hill Streets has been eliminated due to lack of use. Please see NPD letter HERE.
School Bus: Students will receive a bus pass. If your child is slated to ride the bus, we will put him/her on the bus unless we have written notification (delivered to the classroom teacher) that plans have changed. For last minute changes please call Francie (617-559-9600).
Summer upgrades: New concrete work in front of the school which has been designed for functionality, better aesthetics and easier access into the building. New front doors are on the way and should be installed sometime in September. Three new benches were donated by the 5th grade class of 2017 and will arrive within the next couple weeks.
Thanks to Jon Sneider for designing and planting new landscaping! A big thanks to Robin Welch, Katharina Elbert, Margie Ross-Decter and the entire Beautification Committee for their hard work on this project. Weston Nurseries provided new plantings at a big discount.
Other summer upgrades include: newly painted cafeteria, auditorium ceiling re-painted, hard-top on playground painted (thanks to the PTO). New equipment in the art room.
I have just discovered new LED lighting will be installed in the kindergarten hallway this coming year.
We start the school year with 457 students in 22 classrooms (one additional 3rd grade classroom over what we had last year). Our class sizes range from 18-24 students.
Important Upcoming Dates:
- Principal/PTO Coffees – Tuesday, Sept. 5th and Wednesday, Sept. 6th @ 8:30am. All parents are invited – please stop by and say hello! Location: Cafeteria.
- Family “Back to School” Picnic and Movie Night – Saturday, Sept. 9th at 6pm. On the field beside the playground.
- PTO Meeting – Tuesday, Sept. 12th @ 7pm. Please plan to join us!
- Kindergarten Soccer – Saturday, Sept. 16th on the playing field at Memorial-Spaulding. Look for more information to come on the PTO website.
- ELL Parent Coffee – Tuesday, Sept. 26th in the Extended Day Room @ 8:30am. This event is open to all families whose children receive English as a second language instruction!
- Back to School Night – Wednesday, Sept. 27th from 6-8pm. This is an opportunity to meet your child’s classroom teacher and our subject-specific specialists – and learn about our curriculum!
All weekly updates will happen via this website. You can self-subscribe to receive an email sent to your inbox each week.
Tom Morris, Principal