Welcome to the 2012-2013 School Year,
I’m looking forward to another year of new learning, new memories, and exciting experiences. I am also pleased to officially welcome several new staff members to Memorial-Spaulding as well as provide an update regarding other personnel transitions since June. We have two new first grade teachers; Lauren Palkey and Jan Phelan. Megan DeKing has moved to second grade. Shannon Komow and Tommy Glynn will be with us this year as PE teachers. Nicole Quatrale will be here 2 ½ days a week as an additional Inclusion Facilitator. Lisa Zutty will be joining us as a literacy aide to replace Meghan Melanson who will now be working as an ISS. Interns joining us are Alison Howe, Kyle Bounty, and Colleen Dorsey. New teaching assistants with Special Education and ELL are Katie Cuggino, Lori Melcer, Julie Brodney and Ellen Rosen. Jesse Strauss will be our new ISS and Darius Velez is here as our Northeaster Intern. At press time, I am diligently working to finalize the hiring of our staff for the upcoming year. We warmly welcome all of our new staff and are sure they will benefit by working closely with our experienced staff.
- When you come to school you will notice an improved playground area. Thanks to the PTO and the 2012 5th grade class, we now have an additional hardtop area and a basketball hoop for children to use at recess. I’d also like to thank the City of Newton Mike Cronin, Chief of Operations for the NPS for their support in replacing the sand under the structure with safer and healthier wood chips.
- No parking, pick up or drop off in staff parking lot. Thank you!!
- Blue Zone- please follow blue zone rules
- Lunch information http://www3.newton.k12.ma.us/operations/foodservices
- Transportation- Bus http://www3.newton.k12.ma.us/transportation
- PTO- http://memorialspauldingpto.org/
- Memorial-Spaulding– http://memorialspaulding.newton.k12.ma.us/
It is crucial that the home/school communication continue to be strong and active for the sake of all our students. The Memorial-Spaulding PTO is an amazing group of families that continue to support, enrich, and communicate in order to support student learning. I encourage each of you to go to the PTO website at http://memorialspauldingpto.org/ as it continues to be a great source of information about important topics and events. You must sign up on the site to receive the weekly updates.
Grade Level Configuration and teachers for the 2012-2013 School Year
- K Bowen, Ekholm-Jacobson, Montalto
- 1st Lewit, Marullo, Palkey, Phelan-Liebman
- 2nd Bliss, DeKing, James, Minichiello
- 3rd Fleming and Backer, Kazakoff-Eigen, Miranda
- 4th Cameron and Cardarelli, Deleo, Kazis and Sullivan, Shreiner
- 5th Ahlberg and Florschutz, Baggs, DeRusha and Galvin, Shafer
School Council Family Representatives Needed
We will be looking for 2 new family representatives to our School Council this year. The meetings will be on Mondays’ from 4:00-5:30. I will speak more about this at Open House on September 13th. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask.
I am very excited about this new school year! As always you are welcome, invited, and encouraged to stop by to discuss important topics, ask questions, or simply to just say hello. I look forward to continuing to build meaningful relationships! If you need an appointment, please touch base with Francie Sheehan.
I look forward to seeing all of the energetic and excited faces of our talented students walk through the doors on Tuesday morning. Here’s to an exciting year and welcome back to all!