Greetings from the Newton SEPAC (Special Education Parent Advisory Council)!
Whether you are new to Newton, or have a returning student, we would like to introduce you to the Newton SEPAC!
The Newton SEPAC….
- Advises the School Committee on the education and safety of students with disabilities
- Hosts a “Basic Rights” presentation annually, to discuss the rights of students and their parents/guardians under state and federal special education laws (Wednesday, November 8th at the Education Center; presented by Ruth Diaz of the Federation for Children with Special Needs)
- Serves as a liaison between parents of students receiving special education services and Newton Public School administrators
- Meets monthly with Karen Shmukler, the Assistant Superintendent of Student Services
- Coordinates the Annual SEPAC Awards Ceremony in June, so that parents can recognize exceptional Newton Public School Staff
- Hosts the Newton SEPAC Yahoo Group; an online discussion group which serves as a forum for parents and guardians to exchange information and share community resources
- Coordinates monthly presentations.
For the 2017-2018 school year, we are working on:
- Transition (from Pre-School to Elementary School, Elementary School to Middle School, and from Middle School to High School)
- Anxiety in School Children (Wednesday, February 28th at NNHS; presented by Jessica Minahan)
- Executive Functioning
- Personal Safety
All meetings are posted on our website https://newtonpac.org, and are open to everyone
If you would like to become a member of our yahoo group, send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to seeing you soon!
The Newton SEPAC Board